Sunday, February 21, 2010

10 Years Ago

Almost ten years ago I found out I had received a scholarship to attend AIU University in London. I can't stop thinking how that experience changed my life. Anyone who knows me know that I'm a chicken. ...and yet I got on an airplane by myself and flew for 13 hours where I then engaged a cab and proceeded to a "flat" where I lived with a bunch of girls I'd never met. I used the underground train (or tube) every day, often alone to get to class, and traded with foreign currency at small markets for groceries and clothing. I rode speed trains and ferries to visit other countries on the weekends...trading with even more foreign currency and findind my way around among foreign languages and strange customs. By myself! I am a big girl and I can do big things!
I've been working on putting my journal and pictures into an HM book so I can remind myself of that from time to time. That experience really helped me grow. ...and three weeks after I came home I met the greatest guy I've ever known! ...and married him!

7 comments:

Emily said...

How did I not know you did this?? That was a rough time in my life, I wish I had been more aware of what was going on with my friends and loved ones around me. SO better late than never- Congratulations on such an amazing opportunity!!!! I love you!!!!

Kirsten said...

I had no idea that you did that! That's so cool that you got to experience something like that. Can't wait to see the book.

IH-Texas said...

Was that really 10 years ago? Wow! Deb and I were just talking about that last weekend. We were talking about how very brave it was. What an amazing adventure. I love you sis.

Anonymous said...

How cool is that?! I would have never guessed you went to school in England!!! Your awesome! Hope all is well with your family! I miss you lots and am so sorry I haven't called or emailed you lately! I am a loser and have just been insanely busy... Not a good excuse I know! I hope to talk to you soon:) Take care and tell your cute family hello for us!

Amy said...

Wow, Keri. We really DID lose touch! I had no idea you did this! That is awesome!!! Can't wait to see you tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

Kassie said...

Wow! You are a big girl! I don't think I could have done that!

FAB said...

It's going to be an awesome book. I've been to England once about 11 years ago. My maternal grandmother is British and I got to visit with her mother and sister in Norfolk for 3 weeks! So fun! Sounds like you had an awesome time.