Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Seven years ago a knock came at my door. I peered through the peep hole, excited about my future. The guy I was meeting was going to change my life forever. ...everything I ever wanted in a man. He was going to be tall, dark, and handsome just like the few of his brothers I knew. He had to be charming and witty. I didn't know much about what I was to expect except that he had just returned from a mission and he was cute.
What I saw through that tiny little window in the door could not have prepared me for the way my life would change. He was short. His blond hair was receeding. His clothes were wrinkled and old. I hesitated to open the door. But then I thought, how bad could he be? By the end of the night I knew. It was bad! Sarcastic. Cheesily helpful (he did the dishes...who does that?). Just flat out weird. This was not going anywhere!
The next night we double dated with his younger brother. We went bowling. Anyone who know me knows that I despise the sport heart and soul. He bowled an incredible 219! I....well, lets just say I should have asked for bumpers. After that embarassing stroll down greasy alley ways, cigarette smoke, and exasperating noise, I was given some relief...or so I thought. We went to Baskin Robins. You can't go wrong there, right? We ordered and as we waited we talked. That conversation ended with Jared saying: "I like you and I'd like to take you out again, but I'm looking for a wife. If you aren't serious let me know now so I can move on."
WOW! I didn't know how I felt about that. After I got home and had a chance to think about it a little I decided that I liked his honesty. It was refreshing. In fact, there wasn't anything fake about him. I knew that he wasn't going to hide anything from me.
The rest is history. We were married a few months later on December 15th and I've never had a moment of regret.
I love his humor, his crooked smile, and warmth. He has never said anything mean or hurtful to me. He's not afraid to hug, kiss (or goose) me in public. He is a snuggle machine. I love how his Wyoming accent comes back when he’s with his brothers. I love that he takes his priesthood seriously. I am thankful every single day that he goes to work to pay the bills and insists that I stay at home to raise our little herd of kids. He is a fun and fabulous father.
All in all, I think I’m a dang lucky gal!

8 comments:

lacie tidwell said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! wow! It's been SEVEN years- no seven year itch for you guys!! Love ya!CONGRATS!

Kirsten said...

You guys are so cute together! Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy late anniversary! :) Hope you two had a wonderful day together! I hope that I have a great marriage like you and Jared do! :) I really do look up to you younger Uncles!

BigDaddy said...

Happy happy anniversary! What an awesome story of how you guys met. Hope you had a great day :) ~Micah

Mandi Roth said...

You are dang lucky!! congrats! You really are a cute couple. I love that picture of you and him.

Aurie Jenkins said...

happy anniversary. Such a fun story, one your kids and grandkids Im sure will love to hear. :O) so cute!

Aurie Jenkins said...

so I read Noah your story and was singing the Paula Abdul song "straight up now tell me do you really wanna love me forever or are you just havin fun?" And he said that should be your theme song. :O) thought it was funny and I would share. :O)

Amanda XOX said...

I love this post! Congrats on 7 years, an adorable herd of kiddos, up and downs that life brings about, and many many more happy blogging moments for your family.